Rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation are what The Swag is all about, so you don’t have to do anything if you don’t want to!
That said, there are many fun and interesting things to do, both on our secluded mountain escape and in the Asheville area:
- Expand your horizons with our guided hikes led by renowned authors and naturalists. Check out our Special Events Calendar.
- Delight in garden fresh meals (comfort food with a twist)
- Soak your sore hiking muscles in the outdoor hot tub
- Relax in our redwood sauna
- Take a romantic stroll past our pond
- Sing songs, traditional and popular, with the help of our player piano
- Read, eat a picnic lunch, or just plain sit and think in one of five hideaways scattered throughout the property
- Laze in a hammock that’s built for two
- Sit on our front porch and watch the hummingbirds
- Play badminton on a court nestled in rhododendron that’s next to our pond
- Play croquet while enjoying the fifty-mile view
- Play racquetball on our regulation underground court
- Hike on our two-mile Nature Trail or in Great Smoky Mountains National Park’s extensive, world-class system of hiking trails
- Climb into the tree house for a romantic picnic lunch
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park shares an old split rail fence boundary with our inn that stretches more than a mile.
Walk out our front door and discover stunning views, secluded nooks in the woods, and numerous hikes — from simple strolls to challenging climbs on our 250-acre grounds and in the park itself.
Spectacular Smoky Mountain Splendor
Sink into a hammock together or soak in the hot tub – gazing out over four of North Carolina’s six highest mountain ranges. Enjoy a picnic lunch on Gooseberry Knob. Play croquet, horse shoes, or badminton. Walk along moss-lined trails — underneath 20′ blooming rhododendron that span overhead like a cathedral ceiling.
Just How Close is the Park?
Throw a rock from our front door and you’ll hit park property (even if you don’t have an arm like Cy Young).
The Epitome of Rustic Luxury
Inside our rustic Swag House you’ll discover quiet corners to curl up with a book, play a board game or cards, or chat with other guests.
Our Chestnut Lodge also offers numerous amenities including an impressive library, sauna, massage therapy room, weight room and racquetball court.
View our photo galleries to see more images.